Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Happily Ever After

So last Friday was my sister-in-laws graduation at BYU. So JT and I had the opportunity to attend her graduation along with Grandma and Grandpa Dewey. Since then something has been on my mind, and I felt like sharing this thought.

My thought is that whenever I interact with older people, meaning 60+, they are always happy. The reason they always seem happy is because they are married to the person they love, they had a family together, and now they are living happily ever after. It seems like today I'm always hearing the stories of people my age getting married then divorced. It is so sad. So I started thinking about how the grandparents of today did it. Although not all grandparents are still married, there is a smaller divorce rate among their time then what we are seeing today.

I think the reason our grandparents were able to stay married is because they stuck to the "old fashioned" standards. Many of them waited for sex until marriage so they would only have one partner their whole life, many of them married younger, and when they saw times of trial they worked through it together.

So now I wonder why things have changed so much over the last 50 years. It was about the 1970's when the divorce rate started dropping. Is it because the media has such an influence in our lives? I think so. But  I also think that is only possible because of how hard Satan has worked to ruin the family. Which is so sad because when I see all my grandparents, I see the happiest people I know. Their lives haven't been easy, but they all stayed married.

I'm excited for the day when JT and I become like our grandparents. More in love with each other than we are now. Which I can't even imagine because I do love my husband with all my heart. I'm so thankful to be a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, and that we were worthy to be married for time and eternity.




4 comments:

  1. It is sad that in our generation we see so many couples our age (even members of the church) get divorced. It breaks my heart and to this day, I hope that will NEVER be Andrew and I. Marriage is a challenge and even after almost 2 years of being married (gee, I can't believe it's been almost two years) we are still getting used to each other and our differences. We waited for each other and did not live together before marriage. So...even though we argue sometimes we still work through everything even though some days the temptation to break up seems like a better solution. When this temptation arises, we pray and feel the opposite. Satan doesn't want us to be married and have families, so he will do anything to destroy the love and unity a couple has developed.

    I never had grandparents growing up; however, I want my future children's children to be able to say the same thing you are saying here. That their grandparents are the happiest people they know. :)

    We didn't date very long before we got engaged. In fact we dated for a month and than got engaged and 3 months later we were married. Society ridiculed us a lot; however, we prayed about it personally and together and I had already received my confirmation the first time I saw him. That's another story. If you'd like I can share. However, people said, 'you're too young' 'live together first' 'date longer' and etc...I am glad we didn't listen to them. We are happy even through our challenges and because we have worked through a lot, I feel like our love for each other has grown much more. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so true! Every year I feel like it wouldn't be possible to be more in love but somehow it always happens! I think it is because of time and effort we have invested in our marriage as well as the determination we have to not let it fail. We are forever. There is also something to be said for the wisdom gained from going through trials together. When older people are so happy it is because they have learned that things could always be worse AND what is most important.

    I am sure you and JT are going to be the cutest old couple, smiling all the way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete