Monday, September 3, 2012

Vacation Part 3: Idaho

With the last few weeks of summer, JT went back to work and I stayed home, because the office I work at isn't open during semester breaks. 

This gave me plenty of time to do some extra cleaning in our apartment, make homemade meals for my husband, do some crafts I have been wanting to do but haven't had time for, and watch more of my favorite show, Gilmore Girls. I would say this summer has treated me well.

So here are a few pictures of the things we have done over this time:

Date night with the Dewey's. This is something we have been doing since we first started dating, because we love cheese. Martinelli's, sour dough bread, gouda, and chaumes.

So I love mac & cheese. But I don't eat it as much because buying it frozen isn't always the cheapest. So I had my first try at homemade mac & cheese, a simple recipe I found on pinterest. All I needed was noodles, cheese, milk, butter, salt, and pepper. And it only took 20 minutes. Yum. Now maybe I can move on to real homemade meals. ha.

Since our wedding I didn't know what to do about the cards we got for our wedding, but I knew I wanted to keep them because there are some cute cards and some great notes from loved ones. So I found this idea on pinterest. I hole punched all the cards in the left corner, then I put them together with a metal ring (2 1/2 inches), then made a cover. This was simple and cheap (~$2). The cover isn't the cutest thing but I had to work with what I had here at home, a large white notecard and some old scrapbook paper. Maybe someday I'll make a new cute cover. I also made little books with our Birthday cards, friends wedding announcements, and other random cards like graduation and baptism announcements. 

My big project was my ornament wreath. Because we got married in December we used a lot of ornaments to decorate the reception, which my mom gave all to us. With such a surplus of ornaments came this idea. So I used a wire hanger and used my husband to help me bend it into a circle. I then lined it with ornaments and had my glue gun on hand incase it was needed. The final product is displayed below, but I plan on still fixing it. There are a few spots that the wire shows and a couple spots I might want to adjust the color distribution. But I got tired of stringing and unstringing all the ornaments. The great thing about this project is so far, it hasn't cost me anything but my time. I had all the supplies. When I hang it for Christmas all I'll need is ribbon to make it look pretty. 





Now in a week we will start school again, and I'll go back to work. We're sad to see summer end but also excited to have more going on again. 

1 comment:

  1. CUTE KJ! I love the wreath you made with your wedding ornaments! What a great idea! We miss you guys! Come live next door to us please! Hope the start of school goes well for you! :]

    ReplyDelete