Saturday, June 27, 2015

Mommy & Me Swimming

Although we live in a small town, we are lucky to have a small city owned water park which offers swim lessons in the summers. Jonas and I signed up for the easiest offered class, the Mommy and Me swim class! It's mostly for the mom's, but it also teaches the babies some simple things, like holding your breath to go under water for 1 second. These things make kids more comfortable playing in water.


After day 1, Jonas was chill and uninvolved but he didn't cry much. He also had his first experience going under water (again maybe for 1 second) and didn't completely freak out. I also signed us up for the class with my friend Kylie and her little one, Parker, who is just a few months behind Jonas.

On day 2 Jonas literally slept during half the class, I could not wake him up. With the soothing water and the warm sun he couldn't fight taking a nap. It messed his schedule up the rest of the day and he continued to try to nap throughout the 8 classes.


Swim class on Jonas's birthday (day 3)! We got a morning nap in that day so he had a little more fun, but mostly just stared at everyone and chilled.

On day 4 Jonas started to do a little kicking in the water when I would throw him up in the air during one of our songs. He also splashed a little with his water toy.

Day 5 Jonas got even better at floating. I usually just have to hold his upper half and his bum and legs will float. We also worked on gliding to the wall and Jonas tried to reach for the wall, mostly with just his pointer finger.


On day 6 we had to try life jackets, and none of the babies were fans. Jonas cried while I was putting it on, I don't think it helped that they were already wet from the class before. Jonas didn't mind as much once he was floating on his back, but still holding on tight to me. He even got so relaxed he tried to nap while floating, despite the fact he took a 80 minute nap before swim class.


Day 7 was fun, after doing class as usual we went to the shallow end by the big toy to let the kids walk and play in the shallow water, at first Jonas was hesitant but then I had a hard time getting him out! He was the last one to leave, and we ended up having some fun splashing in the water.


Our last class, day 8, Jonas did well with some of the things we had been working on, like jumping to mom in the water after I count to three. Overall I think he really enjoyed our swim class, even though most of the time he just chilled in my arms. He got more comfortable being in the water in a public setting, and it was nice to have a reason to get into the water for two weeks, of course now I don't know what we are going to do for the rest of summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment